Ecuador is located on the equatorial line in northwestern South America, bordering the Pacific Ocean to the west, Colombia to the north, and Peru to the south and east.
There are endless reasons to take a trip to Ecuador – listed below are 15 of the most compelling ones:
1. Four regions in one country: though relatively tiny, Ecuador boasts the world treasure of the Galapagos Islands, the warm and sunny Pacific coast, the majestic Andes mountain range, the Amazonian rain forest.
2. A nature lover’s paradise: Ecuador is one of 17 countries in the world classified as “megadiverse” by UNESCO, with an incredible variety of birds, mammals and orchids. In fact Ecuador is the most megadiverse country per square kilometre in that list.
3. Ethnic diversity: home to 17 distinct indigenous groups and 27 different ethnic groups, many of which preserve their languages, traditions, and dress to a remarkable degree, Ecuador is a multicultural wonder.
4. A birdwatcher´s dream come true: with 1,640 species of birds (a world record per square meter) and 132 species of hummingbirds alone, Ecuador is unquestionably one of the worlds’ best birding destinations.
5. Geography and history: with historic haciendas, ethnographic museums, art galleries, and the “”Middle of the World” monument, Ecuador possesses a fascinating historical legacy.
6. Unique and delicious cuisine: in Ecuador you can taste flavors from the highlands “locro” (potato cheese soup) to the refreshing shrimp ceviche (marinated seafood cocktail) of the coast.
7. The Galapagos Islands: recognized in 1978 as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the archipelago is home to a stunning volcanic landscape, turquoise waters, and hundreds of endemic species.
8. The Amazon Region: within the dense green vegetation of Ecuadorean Amazon can be found and an abundance of unique flora and fauna, along with an opportunity for unforgettable adventure. Thirty percent of Ecuador’s Amazon jungle basin is made up of natural parks and reserves
9. Cayambe Volcano: at 4690 meters, Cayambe is the highest point in the world to cross the equator. It is also the only snowcapped place that crosses the equator. The hike to the highest peak has been a favorite since Edward Whymper first reached it in 1880.
10. Cultural Heritage: both Cuenca and Quito have been declared World Heritage Sites by UNESCO and offer a variety of activities for visitors, including museums, art galleries, antique shops, fine restaurants and coffee shops.
11. An endless array of adventures: only in Ecuador can you climb the tallest active volcano in the world, kayak the rapids of the Amazon rainforest, and crisscross the Equatorial line on horseback, all in one trip. You can enjoy 19 that can mix Adventure, Wildlife, Culture, Community in just than 2 hours from the main cities.
12. An example in sustainable tourism: conservation and responsible tourism is a priority in Ecuador, and travelers have plenty of opportunities to contribute to the local economy and be active participants in the growth of ecotourism projects.
13. Eternal spring-like weather: Ecuador enjoys mild spring-like weather conditions year-round, creating an ideal environment for the country’s rich fauna and flora to flourish and its people to enjoy a laid-back lifestyle.
14. Easy to travel to: US and international airlines offer flights of 4 – 6 hours from Miami and New York , the local transportation network is reliable, and English is commonly spoken in major travel destinations.
15. Something for everyone: Ecuador has plenty to offer just about any type of traveler, from adventure seekers to ecotourists, history buffs to honeymooners, families to those looking to learn Spanish in a comfortable environment – Ecuador and Galapagos has it all.